Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My New Life in Athens

Hello!

Now that I have finally settled into my apartment and new life in Athens, I decided to start a blog and let you all know how things are going. I've been in Athens for ten days now, but it feels much longer. Here is a breakdown of the past ten days:

Monday, August 30 - arrival in Athens. It wasn't easy, but I found the academic center and received my keys to my apartment. I was a bit worried because it was getting late and dark, but I've since learned that Athens is a safe city (as safe as a city can be with 4.5 million people living in it!).


Tuesday, August 31 - orientation. CSB/SJU sent 29 students and a program director to The College Year in Athens (AKA Dikemes) totaling 166 students at Dikemes this semester. The school is comprised of only two buildings set in the center of Athens. It takes me a minute to walk from my apartment to the academic center each day for class. Behind my apartment, directly next to Dikemes, is the Marble Stadium.

Wednesday, September 1 - orientation. Because CSB/SJU students are only studying in Athens for seven weeks, the library loans out the majority of the books we use. On September 1 we checked out our books and then went exploring. The Temple of Zeus is about a ten minute walk. Notice the Acropolis in the background, we literally are living in the heart of Athens! That evening, Dikemes took students to local tavernas to sample tradition Greek cuisine.

Thursday, September 2 - class. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have history and theology class.

Friday, September 3 - market and class. Each Friday, vendors come to Pangrati (our neighborhood) to sell produce and even some novelties. I purchased olives (of course!) and grapes. I'm telling you, you have never tasted grapes if you have not tasted grapes from Greece.
After the market I had class. On Mondays and Wednesdays I have literature and ethics. Ethics is taught by Phil, our program director from SJU.
**Each class is two hours. We also have Modern Greek each Monday and Tuesday.  In Modern Greek we spend the first hour discussing Greek culture and society. The second hour is spent learning Greek. It's very difficult. I still haven't memorized the alphabet! Notice that I didn't mention Friday's classes? We don't have class on Friday's!!!
That evening we decided to catch a movie at one of the open-air cinemas. The one we chose is at the base of the Acropolis and has a beautiful view. The movie was in English, but it was a Humphrey Bogart and it was in black and white. Not quite my style, but the view was worth it!

Saturday, September 4 - CSB/SJU trip to the Temple of Poseidon. The Temple of Poseidon is about an hour and a half bus ride from Athens. We spent the day at the beach and also ate dinner at a taverna. The bus picked us up and took us to the top of the hill where the temple is located. We explored the site and stayed for the sunset.

Sunday, September 5 - catch up on homework and sleep!

Monday, September 6 - class and Garden Party at the president's house! Not the president of Greece, but the president of Dikemes! Incredible. Souvlaki and wine in a beautiful backyard garden, who knew?

Tuesday, September 7 - class.

There is much more to tell, but blogging takes commitment! I will do my best to blog at least twice a month. I may even blog once a week if I'm feeling good. I hope you have enjoyed reading about my new life in Athens. Please ask questions if you'd like to hear more about each day...I have left out lots of details!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Kins,
    What a beautiful blog! I love your wallpaper, photos, comments, and video. Tell me more about the food. The scenery is beyond beautiful. Words are not good enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY! I am so glad that I can follow your Greek-Roman life! (which the title reminds me of a reality tv show)
    Love you kinsey, skype soon, keep on travelin'!
    love dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a greek goddess. This is amazing, I love your blog so much that I decided I'm making it my homepage. =) POST MORE PICS! I miss your face so much, and I need to make sure that it doesn't start to fade in my mind since you've been gone from me for so long already!!!

    bb

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing and so happy. Tears of joy from home are with you on this adventure of a lifetime. My heart is bursting with love and pride for you, my baby daughter!!! No baby now, a beautful young woman admired by all lucky enough to be part of your life. I love you Kinser! Be safe, and "make a memory".

    mom

    ReplyDelete