Monday, November 1, 2010

Mi amore, Espana!

Hello family and friends!

For the last month of my life abroad, I have spent time in Greece, Spain, and currently, Italy. It has been busy! After the program concluded in Athens, a group of eight of us traveled to Spain. We spent time in three cities: Grenada, Seville, and Madrid. It was the cheapest decision I've made since living in Europe. If you want a cheap vacation, go to Spain!

After we landed in Madrid, we hopped on a bus to Grenada - it was a six hour bus ride! On the ride, we passed through many olive fields. In addition, we also smelled the olive oil - Spain actually produces a lot of olive oil. I don't know what it is, but the olive oil farms smelled like vomit! It was bizarre. We never smelled anything like that in Greece! I guess we never really drove through olive country :).

Eating a delicious octopus tapa!
Our first night in Grenada we spent out on the town getting acquainted with tapas bars. Tapas are similar to appetizers, but it mostly refers to the size of the portion. Usually they are tiny sandwiches, or a tiny portion of paella (rice pilaf with seafood). We went to three tapas bars and ordered a sangria at each one. In Grenada, the tapas are actually free with a drink. It is one of the only cities in Spain that serves tapas for free! My favorite tapa was the black bean soup!

View of Alhambra from St. Nicholas hill
The next morning we woke up bright and early to get in line for the Alhambra. We had heard that you must book your tickets online, but they were sold out weeks before we even travelled to Spain. Instead, you can also stand in line at the gate and try to purchase the limited number sold on the day of your visit. We got in line at about 7:15 that morning and the doors opened at 8:00. Of course, when we finally got to the window at 8:45, we are the FIRST people not to receive tickets. Seriously. The first people. We were bummed. The Alhambra is a famous Arabic palace. Spain is heavily influenced by Arabia and the architecture looks great - even from a distance!
Rooftop outdoor seating for the kitchen!
We went back to our hostel and sat on the rooftop kitchen and tried to brainstorm. I found a neat Arabic bath for cheap and we decided to try our luck. Greg had had a Turkish bath when he was in Istanbul and was excited to try it...he told us we didn't need to bring a bathing suit because they just give you towels. However, when I finally communicated to the woman that we didn't have bathing suits, she looked a little bit confused. We rented one-pieces and headed to the changing room. The tradition of the Arabic bath is to rotate between hot and cold pools about every ten minutes. I wanted to stick with the tradition, and I found out just how COLD the cold pool was...it was painful for the first few seconds and it didn't get much easier! There were 6 hot pools and 1 cold pool. After soaking and drinking sweet Arabic tea, my number was called for my back and leg massage. The oil was aroma therapeutic. When I walked out of that place I felt like jello!


Seville was a bit bigger. We stayed right in the city center where all the action happens. The architecture is gorgeous and we were RIGHT next to the cathedral. I've never seen anything like it. Luckily, there is also an Arabic palace in Seville called the Alcazar. Many beautiful gardens and fountains - even peacocks wandering around! The whole place smelled like flowers and the empty palace was so delicately designed that you almost got a headache looking at all the tiny carvings and decorations!

We went on a bike tour in Seville as well. It was nice because we got a little Mp3 player with an audioguide. However, RIGHT when I was biking back to return the bike something terrible happened. I was biking right next to a tram track and my tire got stuck in the track...and I was going fast. I whiped out and sprained my wrist. The sidewalk/track was so worn that the cement was smooth and I only had one small cut. Some Spaniards came over asking me if I was ok, but it was just too much to try and speak Spanish when I was in so much pain! I was embarrassed and got right back on my bike and tried to continue on...however, my vision was getting cloudy and I could feel myself blacking out...I stopped and stumbled off my bike and sat down. It was a bit scary. Luckily I had Greg there and we made our way slowly back. It wasn't until we arrived in Rome that I was convinced it was only a sprain. I thought for a while that it was broken!

In Retiro Park in Madrid
After our time in Seville, Greg and I left the group a day early to go to Madrid and meet a few of my friends. We stayed in Madrid hanging out with my friends and stayed in their apartment for free. Madrid is a beautiful, clean city. They clean the streets every night! At around midnight we looked out the window and saw the city cleaners with a big truck connected to a long hose...a man was out on the sidewalk spraying everything down! Loved Madrid. Greg and I had a nice time walking around and seeing the sights in a relaxed atmosphere. It's always easier traveling in a smaller group.

So here I am, enjoying a beautiful rainy day in Rome. Today is All Saints Day - therefore, I don't feel one ounce of guilt for staying in the apartment. Everything is closed down, plus it's pouring out!! In a few minutes my roommates and I are going to go downstairs to Matt and Paul's apartment for a pajama party. We are going to eat popcorn and watch movies ALL afternoon. There's nothing like a holiday in Rome - buses run at 50% and most everything is closed...where would we go?? Nowhere. And that's what I love about it. Plus, the sound of thunder is absolutely perfect in the background.

I miss you all so much. I will blog again as soon as I can. Now that I'm in a routine I should have more time. I register for next semester's classes today. Freaky. I'm also done with college.

Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. It sounds wonderful in Spain! Love the relaxed atmosphere! Brittany and Bob just left after staying overnight for the first time. We had fun catching up, having a little wine and a fire on the patio. Today, Nick and I are doing the fall yard clean up. Gorgeous day-70 degrees, NO WIND! God bless you! Paula

    ReplyDelete